School Council AGM
All parents are invited and encouraged to attend our VPE School Council's AGM on Wednesday, Sept 18. Meeting starts at 6:30 pm in the VPE art room.
Please know that attending the AGM does not require you to take on a position. If you ARE interested in a position, these are what are available at this time:
- Chair person: Chairs the meetings, sets agendas in collaboration with the principal.
- Treasurer: maintains and ensures proper and accurate accounts, receipts, and disbursements of funds.
All parents & care-givers are welcome to attend our monthly meetings.
WHAT is School Council
School councils are structured groups of parents, principals, teachers, and community representatives who work together to effectively support and enhance student learning.
They provide a means for members of the school community to consult with and provide advice to the principal and the school board.
The Government of Alberta recognizes the value of parents and the community to be engaged in the education of children, and requires school councils in every school operated by a school board in Alberta.
It is through school council that parents, community members and school staff have a means of participating in decisions that impact student learning success.
A school council is a vehicle to support meaningful parental involvement in decisions that affect the school and its operations.
School council provides the venue for parents to reflect the wishes of the broader community for the education of its students and to actively participate in giving advice and support to the principal in the operations of the school.
- Advises the principal and the board on educational issues that pertain to the school.
- Establishes and reviews school council's goals, objectives, action plans and procedures.
- Communicates and consults with parents and the school community.
- Meets regularly.
ESTABLISHED SCHOOL COUNCILS:
- focus on what is best for all students in the school
- consider the interests of all school stakeholders.
- maintain and reflect the culture of the school.
- represent the parent voice in the school community.
(From Alberta School Councils' Association)
Role of School Council
School council functions may include:
- consulting with the principal to ensure students have opportunities to meet Ministry standards, fiscal management is sound, and the community is taken into consideration during school-based planning.
- advising the principal and the school board on topics as requested.
- being involved in school-based planning.
- sharing ideas and information with other school councils and provincial organizations.
- communicating information to the school community and other school councils.
- setting policies that relate to school council functions, such as:
- location of school council meetings
- mail, email address for school council correspondence
- school council orientation and development
- financial management and or/fundraising
- minutes of school council meetings
- pertinent information unique to the school council
Roles that are not to be taken on by a school council include:
- school governance
- employment issues
- school management
- listening to complaints